Greetings from the ZATI office,
I hope that you are all well keeping safe, busy and practicing social distancing measures. This week marked the end of the Holy month of Ramadhan for Muslims around the world.
In this edition of the newsletter the following will be included:
- Members News.
- Government News.
- Zanzibar Marketing Initiative Post Covid-19.
- Office News.
UPDATE ON REQUEST FOR EMERGENCY FISCAL MEASURES FOR TOURISM INDUSTRY.
In the past period we have been engaged in several meetings with the Government regarding the impacts of COVID-19 on the tourism industry with the aim to seek support in the recovery of the industry, in particular we focused on members issues over this challenging period.
On the 13th of May 2020, a third meeting took place on this subject. The agenda for this meeting was to have feedback with regards to the tourism industry. This time officials from the Ministry of Information, Tourism and Heritage & Zanzibar Tourism Commission were present. ZATI was represented by its Deputy Director. The main issue raised by ZATI was when should we expect tourism to return to zanzibar and what plans does the government have in place.
The officials stated that they are currently working on a recovery plan for the tourism industry which will include standard operating procedures and other guidelines with regards to tourism. The recovery plan will also anylyse global trends and business loss in Zanzibar to provide a clear picture of the impact on the tourism industry and also to highlight ways in which the government can assist. We have been advised that once this plan is presented and approved by the authorities the same shall be made public by the relevant government authority.
Download Tax Administration Act Znz-Remission of interests, penalty & fines here
WEBINAR: POST COVID-19 BUSINESS RECOVERY IN ZANZIBAR
On 15th May, 2020 our Deputy Director represented ZATI in a Webinar organised by The Zanzibar National Chamber of Commerce to discuss the impact of COVID -19 on tourism value chain in Zanzibar. The Webinar also had speakers from ZATO and the president of ZNCC. We would also like to thank all our members that participated in the webinar as your views are always valued as always. Find attached below a briefing of the points discussed and way forward.
BRIEFING OF THE WEBINAR: POST COVID-19 BUSINESS RECOVERY IN ZANZIBAR COORDINATED BY ZANZIBAR NATIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE (ZNCC) 15TH MAY 2020
UPDATE ON CORONA VIRUS & THE REOPENING PROCEDURES OF TANZANIAN BORDERS & AIRSPACE.
ZATI would like to bring to your attention, three Government Public Notices that were issued on 18th May 2020 by the Union Government. The first Notice, is by Hon. Dr. Hamisi Kigwangalla, Minister of Natural Resources & Tourism,Opening tourism to international travellers.
The second Notice is by Hon. Engineer Isack A. Kamwelwe, Mp, Minister of Works, Transport and Communication - Opening Tanzania Airspace.
The third Notice is by Hon. Ummy A. Mwalimu, Mp, Minister of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children - Travel Advisory No.3 on International Travel and Trucks/Vehicles carrying Goods & Services.
In addition to the above our executive board and directors attended meetings on 26th, 27th and 28th May, 2020 convened by the Ministry of Information, Tourism and Heritage at their office. The aim of the meeting was to bring together tourism stakeholders to discuss Zanzibar Tourism Industry Protocols to prevent COVID19 spread as the Zanzibar government prepares itself to welcome tourists once the situation turns for the better with regards to Covid-19. The Ministry through the Zanzibar Commission for Tourism presented a draft Zanzibar Tourism Industry Protocols to prevent COVID19 spread (SOP) for stakeholders input before it is presented to the relevant authorities for discussion, approval & implementation.
Travel Advisory 18th May, 2020-Tanzania reopening
Public Notice-Ministry of Natural Resources & Tourism Tanzania
Measures relating vehicles carrying goods & services
Download Operational considerations for COVID-19 management in the accommodation sector by WHO
CANCELLATION OF THE ZANZIBAR TOURISM SHOW
For those who usually take part in this annual tourism show kindly find message below from the Zanzibar tourism show.
"Dear Valued Exhibitors and Stakeholders,
The safety of our customers, partners and employees is our priority. We are closely monitoring updates on the recent coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and taking necessary precautions as advised by the World Health Organization (WHO) and local authorities. Our thoughts and best wishes go out to everyone affected by this situation.
In response to the recent Covid-19 pandemic globally, we have to reschedule the dates of all out top industry events falling in the next 90 days period. Zanzibar Tourism Show in the past have presented opportunities for all tourism stake holders, suppliers, tour operators, banks, independents, tourism industry suppliers and service providers to share ideas, introduce the latest trends and products and discuss with industry experts for the future of the African tourism industry.
After discussing with all the ZTS committees, the Ministry of Tourism, Information and Heritage and all major tourism stakeholders leads to our cohesive decision of the postponement of the Zanzibar Tourism Show 2020 furthers the efforts to keep attendees, staff and exhibitors safe from COVID-19.
Zanzibar Tourism Show we carefully continue to monitor this virus pandemic progresses and affects our industry globally.
We believe that it’s equally important to not lose hope and to stay positive during this difficult time. We would like to reassure you that we are taking this situation very seriously and are taking all steps necessary to protect everyone involved in the process.
Thank you very much for your continued support during this difficult times and hoping that we as an industry and people of Tanzania will come out bigger, better and stronger after all of this is over."
With Best Regards,
Zanzibar Tourism Show
ZANZIBAR MARKETING INITIATIVE-POST COVID-19
In the past weeks, over 35 hotels already offered their support to this marketing initiative. Currently a page is being developed where bookings can be made and which is to be launched soon.This is your chance to be part of this initiative.
The idea so far:
We agree on a special offer from ZANZIBAR as a destination. We will need about 100 hotels to agree to participate in this initiative. We would to thank all health workers in our traditional market around the world for their efforts in dealing with the COVID-19 situation.
The offer :
- Zanzibar hotels are all offering up to 5 nights or more B+B free of charge to any who can give proof of having worked on the front-line in fighting the pandemic.
- Each hotel can if they wish charge the Government VAT or Hotel Levy Taxes which we will pass on to ZRB).
- Each hotel can decide how many rooms to offer.
- All quality ranges of hotels should be included.
- We provide a time-period of the offer for instance two months.
- It is expected ZATO & ZATOGA will also participate in offering free service.
The Marketing Activity:
- We set up a web page with the hotels participating - listed alphabetically, with reservation email address, and website links.
- We use DESTINATION ZANZIBAR tagline.
- ZCT in collaboration with Tourism stakeholders prepare a short video (e.g “Zanzibar re-opens its doors). In this video we need to have ZCT Logo and other stake holder’s logo such as ZATI / ZATO / ZATOGA.
- We write a press release, attaching the video, and link the web page to it.
- We wait till the time is right - as soon as the virus is clear globally, and flights resume.
- We check the press release to make sure dates etc are all valid and agreed. We can change it if the situation has changed.
- The press release goes out widely - ZANZIBAR THANKS YOU! We hit global newswires with it.
- We request Government assistance due to competition in the market. For example they could suspend visa fees. Reduce Landing fees and waive VAT on aviation fuel to reduce cost of air travel or any other assistance.
- We may also take this opportunity to propose what we think the Government can do to support this effort. For example they could suspend visa fees. Reduce Landing fees and waive VAT on aviation fuel to reduce cost of air travel in order to keep prices competitive.
The expected results in sales;
People who are applicable will email the reservations for hotels directly.
- The hotels will check their healthcare credentials, discuss their dates, explain the tax payment.
- If you get enquiries you don't need, you can simply say that your quota is filled, and still offer discounts if you wish. If you need business, you can accept as many bookings as you can get.
- If others apply who are not in healthcare, you can decide what to do. It's a new contact.
- The guests make their own way here, hotels just arrange transfers and activities.
- Food & Beverages can be at discounts or not - at each hotel's discretion.
- Guests pay normal rates for any other activities and excursions unless you arrange otherwise.
The wider benefit:
- It gives us good international marketing exposure, and will help to kick-start the season.
- Also shows that we are supporting the Government by continuing to pay taxes.
- Each hotel is in control of how much they want to make use of the opportunity.
- It will bring in new business to the island and raise the destination profile.
- The Minister of Tourism has expressed approval of the idea.
Please reply directly back to Edwin who will be answering questions and co-coordinating the final offer and marketing.
firstname.lastname@example.org or Whatsapp +255 777 876298